28 April 2020
As members were advised in late March, like most aspects of our lives, the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting on plans for our Annual Delegates Conference (ADC) scheduled for Friday 16 October.
Given that the current outbreak of COVID-19 will prevent worksite electorate meetings from taking place and may impact on the ability to hold the conference in August, the usual arrangements will need to be modified for 2020.
Planning for the ADC will continue in the event that the pandemic has passed its critical phase and it is possible for delegates to participate in some form (e.g. via video conference in the event that a face to face conference is not possible). If it is not possible to call the meeting in August deferral to a later date in the calendar year will be explored if that seems likely to be possible in the prevailing circumstances.
In order that preparations continue the Council has approved for the following arrangements to apply to the appointment of delegates and submission of policy matters.
- WSRs and members in electorates are invited to nominate for annual conference delegate positions in the event that it becomes possible for the meeting to proceed even at a later date than originally scheduled. Those nominations will be opened in April and close by 31 May 2020.
- Where the number of nominations does not exceed the available number of delegates for the electorate the nominees will be appointed to the position by the Council. Should more nominations be received than positions available, the election of delegates will only proceed after it becomes possible for meetings of the electorate to take place.
If meetings of electorates for elections are not possible or practical in those cases where there are more nominations than the number of delegates, the Council or Executive will determine the nominees to be delegates at their meetings in June and July.
- Members and WSRs are invited to submit policy matters for consideration by the Council in the form of draft resolutions addressed to the Secretary to be received no later than Monday 15 June 2020 to: email@example.com. Providing brief background information will assist Council’s consideration of the policy matter.
Policy matters should focus on global type issues of interest to members and their ability to fulfil their roles and/or community-wide issues linked to ensuring the effective delivery of health services. Worksite based issues should be dealt with at the worksite level with the assistance of your worksite Organiser.
The Council will consider these submissions for policy decisions consistent with its powers under the rules of the organisation
- The Council will make a decision by July if it is possible and practicable in the circumstances that exist to convene an annual conference with the delegates elected or appointed pursuant to the nomination, election and appointment processes completed after (1) above.
- In the event that it is not possible to complete the process of election and notifying the date and agenda of the annual conference by the date of the meeting of the Council in August 2020, the Council will make a decision in relation to all matters remitted for policy consideration by the electorates without the conference proceeding in 2020.
View the role description
Nominations open April 2020 and close on 31 May 2020 at 5pm. Complete your Nomination Form below.